A friend of mine recently posted a hack she did of the Ikea Duktig Play Kitchen. It was SO cute that I begged her for some pictures and instructions to post here on the blog!
Here is a stock picture from the Ikea website:
And here it is now! Don’t you just love the stick on faux granite contact paper on the counters?
She modeled her play kitchen after their recent real kitchen remodel:
(Gorgeous kitchen, no?)
Here were the steps she took, in her own words:
1. I first used a little sandpaper to rough up the birch pieces and appliance pieces so the paint would stick.
2. I painted all the birch parts of the kitchen white. I used a can of white paint I already had in my garage. Painting the kitchen white is easier then another color since half of the kitchen pieces are already white. I did 2 coats.
3. While that was drying I sprayed the microwave door, oven door, stovetop corners, sink and faucet with Krylon’s Nickel Satin Brushed Metallic spray paint. Spraying the faucet reminded me that we needed another one, and so, I made a mental note to Learn More on how that could be done. I got the paint at Hobby Lobby. I made sure to tape off the oven and microwave.
4. I used DC Fix 346-0181 Adhesive Film in Brown Granite (bought on amazon) to cover the countertop piece. I loved that this was so easy to just stick on and cut out the spaces for the stovetop and sink.
5. Once everything was dry I got to assembly!
6. I changed the 3 Duktig pulls for some my husband picked up for me at the hardware store. I’m unsure of the name of them. You can use any 5 inch pull and it will fit perfectly.
7. Once everything was assembled and screwed in place I added 3 Fulcrum 30010-301 LED Battery-Operated Stick-On Tap Lights in silver (bought on amazon). I put 2 under the top cabinet and 1 in the oven.
* I had plans to screw a knob on the side of kitchen to hang aprons but ended up just sticking on a small 3m command hook instead.
I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but she also painted and upholstered the Ikea Latt table!
How cute is her little children’s corner? I don’t know about you, but I’ve got some serious inspiration envy going on! 😉
Inspiration: White Modern Kitchens
House Tour: Kitchen Facelift COMPLETE!
House Tour: Kitchen Facelift ALMOST done!
Seana Turner says
Adorable! I think my child’s play kitchen was some primary color monstrosity… this is much better. The countertop is just awesome:)